The Interactive Film and Media Journal has shared a call for proposals for the virtual IFM 2024 Conference: “Communities, Structures, Entanglements,” to be held June 12-14, 2024, via Zoom.
From the call:
The 6th Interactive Film and Media Virtual Conference (June 12-14, 2024) invites academics (faculty, researchers, and Ph.D. students) from all disciplines (media, communication, film, digital studies, visual arts, etc.) and practitioners (filmmakers, artists, VR and game designers, media producers, etc.) to submit their proposals. We seek proposals that blend critical analysis with creativity, push the boundaries of conventional thinking, and contribute to the burgeoning discourse on communities, structures and entanglements in interactive film and media. While presenters are encouraged to consider this year’s themes, proposals on matters relevant to the IFM community and beyond are welcome.
Possible topics may include but are not limited to:
- Innovation in current and emerging structural design in interactive storytelling.
- Empowerment of communities’ agency and participation in interactive narratives.
- Visualization techniques for conceptualizing narrative structures.
- The implications of structures and entanglements in shaping interactive experiences.
- Role of technology, including AI, in amplifying or restricting agency, whether individual or community-oriented.
- Impact of cultural and sociopolitical contexts on agency and entanglements.
- Collaboration and co-creation in building innovative platforms.
- Case studies highlighting the successful implementation of new structural concepts.
- Ethics and responsibilities in facilitating agency, navigating entanglements, and designing structures.
- Exploration of how VR and AR technologies create immersive environments that leverage agency, structures, and entanglements for a richer user experience.
- Community’s role in shaping inclusive structures and agency within interactive narratives.
- Societal connections and values in interactive entanglements and their influence on content and experience.
- Digital theory: history of digital media, intermediality, transmedia storytelling, multimedia
- Digital humanities: e-literature (e-Lit), fan fiction, remix culture, web serials, e-Learning
- Interactive film: documentary, fiction, animation, experimental
- Interactive platforms: teleconference, streaming, mobile screens, virtual museums, multimedia installations
- Interactive media: webseries, digital news, snack media, ecomedia, social media
- Games: storytelling, educational games, docugames, serious games, games for change
- VR (Virtual Reality) / AR (Augmented Reality): immersion, alternative environments and realities, interfaces
- Database and Big data: digital archiving, politics and ethics, metadata
Abstracts of 500 words should follow the proposal template available here and be submitted before December 18, 2023, to the section ‘conference paper abstract’ at the #IFM Journal’s Submissions system.
No fee is charged for presenters or attendees at the IFM2024 virtual conference.