From the call for the Lives of Data Workshop, to be held January 6-7, 2017, at the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies in Delhi :
The key questions which the workshop will explore are:
- What is data? How is it imagined, collected, archived, developed, scraped, parsed, mined, cleaned, used, interpreted, re-produced, circulated and deleted?
- How do we map the relationships between data, infrastructure and knowledge production?
- How do we reimagine data and information through longer histories of statistics, bureaucracy, governmentality and development?
- What are the stakes involved in analysing the ever increasing volume, velocity, variety and value of data? How do practitioners understand the changing nature of their work with data?
- How do we conceptualise the new data publics?
Workshop themes include:
- Histories of State and Statistics, Classification, Enumeration and Planning
- Data Analytics, Data Ontologies, Digital Objects
- Digital Humanities, Computational Social Sciences, Cultural Analytics
- Cultures of Software Engineering and Design
- Data, Memory and Materiality: Archives, Paper/Digital Databases, Warehouses, Data Centres, Server Farms
- Thinking through Digital Infrastructures: Hardware, Code, Meta-Data, Formats, Protocols, Programming Languages, Information Architectures, Algorithms, Apps, Interfaces, Platforms, APIs, etc.
- Data-Driven Urbanism: Geographies of Mobile Computing, Locative Apps and Social Media, GIS, and Smart Cities
- Openness, Transparency and Access to Data/Information/Knowledge. #RTI #OpenData #DNAProfiling #Copyright #Encryption #Privacy
- Platforms as Government: Transnational Networks of Intermediaries and the Flows of Data/Capital ‘SysAdmin’ like the State: Bio-Politics, Surveillance, User/Citizen, Governance, Policing and Law. #Aadhaar #ITact #CyberSecurity
- ‘Beautiful Data’: Design, Aesthetics, Vision and Visualisation
Proposals are due September 15th. The Sarai Programme, hosts of the workshop, advertise some funding to cover accommodations or travel costs for accepted participants.